Senior Electrical Designer / Manager
We are looking for a Senior Electrical Designer / Manager to manage the Electrical Department of a 40 year old Family run organization.
You will be responsible for:
- Attend project kick off meetings to gain knowledge on project specifications, expectations and timelines as well as provide technical knowledge on electrical system functionality. In addition, the Electrical Designer will provide hours and material costs estimates.
- Develop and prepare electrical designs, and drawings, from preliminary concepts, sketches, engineering calculations, specification sheets and other data while utilizing Design Requests and conforming to sound engineering practices.
- Manage panel construction employees, by providing the tools, instructions and documentation to fulfill the required tasks. Perform annual performance reviews with direct reports.
- Create and maintain electrical schematics of electrical designs as well as other support drawings using CAD electrical software during and after the build cycle. This involves consulting with other departments, project managers/engineers and fabrication groups before and after the build cycle and making changes to electrical drawings as necessary.
- Ensure system performance reliability and conformance to customer specifications.
- Design in accordance with international standards and department procedures.
- Responsible for the research phase of purchasing for electrical parts. This involves contacting different vendors and factoring price, quality and delivery. The Electrical Designer is responsible for justifying product choice to the VP of Operations.
- Using BOM functions and submitting purchase orders via the ERP system for all electrical components.
- Maintain device and system engineering drawing packages as well as other support documentation including information on conformance to standards.
- Assist the Engineering team in identifying and addressing electrical issues arising on the shop floor and/or at the customer site. This may involve troubleshooting assistance and making drawing revisions.
- Attend project update meetings to review and ensure all projects are on budget and on schedule. This involves providing updates on the progress of electrical design.
- Participate in “post-mortem” meetings to discuss project successes and opportunities for improvement.
- In collaboration with other departments, develop and integrate concepts that contribute to the safety of the equipment and its design. This includes capturing and addressing individual/human safety elements as well as machine safety.
- Respond to inquiries, questions, concerns from individual employees, departments, and customers. This involves providing technical support in the area of electrical design.
- Assist with research and development investigations and studies as directed.
- Maintain confidentiality of information accessed in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Ensure all departmental procedures, health and safety policies, procedures, and responsibilities under the OHSA, are followed during all work activities on and off site.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Strong ability to develop electrical designs of systems from basic concepts using engineering principles.
- Knowledge of electrical systems including 600VAC 3-phase, controls, I/O systems, servo control, safety circuits, hydraulics and pneumatics.
- Familiarity with modular cabling technologies, cable tray systems and electrical installations.
- Electrical wiring experience and familiarity with mechanical systems is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of sound engineering practices and electrical codes with a commitment to adhering to all standards and best practices.
- Knowledge of basic robotic operations, including mechanical, electrical, and software interfacing.
- Understanding of, and experience with, conveying and material handling equipment is considered an asset.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and as part of multi-function team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to deal courteously and effectively with all levels of staff, customers, vendors, partners, and any other potential stakeholders.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, Outlook, and other common software packages. An ability to learn and use other software packages, such as our ERP software, is required.
- Hands on experience with CAD Electrical is required.
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in Electrical Engineering, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum five (5) to ten (10) years experience as an Electrical Designer in an industrial/engineering/automation environment.
- Advanced PLC programming
- Minimal travel is required for this position based on installation timelines.
- Valid driver’s license, passport and non-restrictive travel ability to market countries are mandatory for this position.
Excellent Family Run organization for the last 40 years servicing the Food Processing industry.
- Competitive Salary, Bonus, Benefits and RRSP Included in the package for the right individual.
- Working with the VP Operations, this will be a good position for someone looking to grow into an Electrical Manager role.
- Ability to Manage a full Electrical Department and justify product choices to the VP Operations.