Director of Human Resources
Saint John, New Brunswick
Director of Human Resources
Location: Saint John, NB
Salary: Cometitive Salary + Bonus plan
Qualifications & Skills
- Degree in Human Resource Management and/or CHRP and/or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 10 years progressive Human Resources experience, preferably in a manufacturing or processing environment.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in managing a team of HR professional
- Excellent negotiating and influencing skills. Ability to work with different teams.
- Ability to prioritize with the attention to detail to ensure accuracy of information.
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels within organization with a focus on customer service and performance.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, etc.) and Payroll systems.
- Ability to work well in a constantly changing, fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated initiative and autonomy.
- Demonstrable understanding of standard HR metrics e.g. headcount, compensation & benefit costs, turnover, operational reporting (e.g. sickness and absence) and understanding the importance of data quality in our HR systems.
Strong knowledge of employment trends and related legislation
Essential Duties and Accountabilities of the Role
- Managing, coaching, supporting and developing a team of four HR professionals and a security staff of four constables.
- Oversight of all HR related functions such as recruitment and retention, hourly and salaried payrolls, performance management assessments, merit process, dispute adjudication, systems and budgets.
- Identifies best practices for attracting, developing and retaining a productive and engaged workforce. Collaborates with corporate and line management for implementation.
- Review key business performance targets and employee Performance Management Assessment objectives and their related talent implications with business leaders.
- Act as a business partner assisting business leaders to develop and implement effective HR programs which advance the effectiveness of the organization and continually strengthen the company culture.
- Drive people initiatives with strong communication skills, coaching, and influencing
- Advises leadership on workforce planning and provides information and analysis for use in reducing skills gaps and building efficiencies.
- Execute on our recruitment strategy and manage the talent acquisition function. Recommend creative and innovative ways to source, attract, and recruit candidates. Work collaboratively with the hiring Manager to develop and deliver an onboarding process that welcomes the employee, integrates the employee effectively into the team and familiarizes the employee with the Company’s values and Goals.
- Acts as change leader and internal communicator to ensure understanding and support of organizational strategies and objectives.
- Assess training needs aligned with business needs and partner with business, cross functional and HR colleagues to develop and implement virtual and in person training to foster staff development and maximize employee engagement
- Implement and manage long-term HR Programs and Initiatives aligned with the strategic agenda. Review and benchmark the internal and external environment to improve HR policies and initiatives.
- Identify and drive the sharing of best practices across functions to facilitate continuous improvement of HR Services and Processes
- Responsible for positioning Clover Leaf as an employer of choice, including employer branding and the development of rewards and recognition programs.
Policy and Reporting
- Ensures consistency in integration of approved HR policies across the Firm, develops new policies as needed and ensures all policies remain appropriate with changes to legislation and embrace the overall Company Goals and Values.
- Provide relevant recommendations to the senior HR Director to guide decision-making related to compensation, organizational change, attrition, promotions, systems etc.
- Human Resource metrics, analytics and reporting.
Compensation and Benefits Management
- The Director is responsible to continually review and provide comment to the Sr. Director on the design, integrity and administration of all the elements of the compensation offerings to support the achievement of organizational goals and to ensure a balance between control of costs and attracting, retaining and motivating employees.
- Regularly assess the adequacy of various components of the compensation program and benefit offerings to ensuring external competitiveness at the local market, internal equity, cost appropriateness and statutory/regulatory compliance.
- Maintain and enhance the current level of analysis and reporting for various HR programs such as employee recognition, pay equity, benefit analysis, etc. and to improved management decisions.
Employee and Labour Relations
- Act on behalf of the company as a primary management person responsible for the implementation and interpretation of collective agreements. Managing the grievance/arbitration process and all employee relations matters.
- Advise managers in all employee relations including labour legislation related matters from hiring to exit, ensuring compliance with applicable legislation, health and safety regulations and company policies.
- Partner with business leaders and HR colleagues in the creation of communication strategy, including drafting communications
- Provide expertise in performance management, coaching, learning and development, embracing change, and engagement and strategic development
Health, Safety and Environmental
- Responsible for managing, coordinating and overseeing the implementation of all Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) programs and processes.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements and Company policies
- Plan/Budget/Control annual capital budget for HSE to ensure flawless execution of the HSE plan and adherence to all internal and external compliance standards
- Promotes, advocates and leads the evolution of the HSE culture
- Provides HSE expertise for the plant for all new projects, equipment installation, Job modification and change management activities
- Oversees the creation and presentation of all HSE related training to ensure the safety and well being of all employees and visitors, ensure legislative compliance.