Product Development Engineer - Building Products - R&D
Location: Toronto, ON
Salary: $75,000 - $85,000 per annum + Bonus
We are looking for a Product Development Engineer. You will have significant experience contributing to the R&D portfolio, identifying new process/products and opportunities corresponding to the right project portfolio.
You will be responsible for:
• Manages the R&D project portfolio, overseeing project milestones and plans, tracks the progress, ensures the relevance and quality of the technical approach, and offers coaching or training as needed. Employee also provides timeline/plans and cost estimates, research reports and presentations.
• Collaborate with different team members towards the aim of growing the sales and profitability of the company, which may include providing support on technical aspect and provide guidance on new products/processes released.
• Establish project priorities and facilitate product development. Include defining the associated tasks and milestones for research, proposes the technical approach, cost estimates, and timeline.
• Play an important role in the management of the relationships with key customers and sales representatives which includes interaction in the field with customers and potential customers to provide/organize technical support.
• Design new product prototypes and develop them into sellable products.
• Manage and maintain on-going test program of products including acoustical and fire
• Oversee in-house test programs and make final decisions regarding material suitability
• Review current test data; carry out programs for testing new products/existing products.
• Review and prepare product specifications and technical information
• Have an understanding of Stage Gate & Change Management procedure for product
• Maintain the most current product and industrie certifications
• Degree in Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technologist. Experience in Product Development and Design.
Knowledge of Autocad and SolidWorks.
• 5-10 years’ experience in Product Development and/or R&D
• Experience in Acoustics and Fire criteria and testing requirements
Familiarity with electrical certifications an asset but not a must have
• Experience in an apprenticeship program in a manufacturing setting
• Experience with building codes, compliance requirements and government requirements for R&D.
• Strong analytical, organization, time management and leadership skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills to promote excellent customer skills both inside and outside the organization
• Ongoing professional development (courses, workshops, ASTM meetings)
• Leadership skills to lead by example and provide senior management correct direction
• Working knowledge of Solidworks, AutoCAD, and Microsoft Office software including Project a must • Demonstrates ability to lead projects within a structured process (Gate). • Demonstrates ability to give and receive constructive feedback • Demonstrate ability to network within and out of group • Respectful communication and ability to collaborate in a team environment required. • Develop ability to maintain composure and organize teams in high pressure situation.